Personal check-in: I’m noticing a trend: if I skip a day, then I skip an entire week! Oops. After the rush of the hackathon, I spent the next couple mornings cleaning and unpacking and organizing stuff in my new apartment. My relentless headache/eye strain returned last week, so I avoided using the computer in my free time. I finally got my eye exam today and confirmed that my eyeballs are completely healthy, but I might need glasses! Well, at least maybe it’ll add to my nerd cred a little bit.
Today I reviewed:
- Common HTML elemnts
- How to create HTML tables
- CSS syntax and common properties
Today I learned:
- How to use a couple new CSS selectors, like the
thiskeyword can be used to create a function that can then be assigned as a method of more than one object.
- What does “structural pseudo-class” actually mean?
- How do pixels and screen resolutions and relative measurements all fit together?
- What’s the right way to use
inline-blockelements for creating layouts, and what browser quirks come with them?
- What other common metaphors for computer programming exist, aside from describing it as a recipe?
- Who came up with the DRY principle (Don’t Repeat Yourself)?